Wednesday, February 23, 2011

All About Character Shoes...

So I'm an actress... and I've seen too many people spend money on character shoes in all the wrong places (I've done it a lot too...), so I thought I'd gather the information that's floating around in my head and post it, so a new actress somewhere might learn from my and others' experience. This is my little post about my experience/knowledge with character shoes and what's good and what's out there!

Every professional needs a toolbox of important items to be prepared, professional and successful in his/her work. For an actress, especially a musical theatre actress, one of the most important tools is character shoes. They are a staple in theatre, from high school to community theatre to professional theatre. At the highest professional level, performance shoes are provided, but character shoes are vital for rehearsals, classes, and some performances. Especially for a dancer, having a GOOD pair of characters is very important, but who has $250 lying around for LaDuca's??



As a performer, your body is your most valuable instrument. It is what you are selling, your character type, abilities, etc., every time you walk into an audition room, so you MUST take care of it. Bad character shoes destroy your feet; I know I've experienced it with bleeding heels and pain after only wearing them even a few minutes (CAPEZIO T-STRAP). Protecting your feet is worth the investment, regardless of whether performance is your hobby or your profession, and if you're doing this as your career, make it a priority to save for the right tools for your craft.

Height: If you are an adult, you shouldn't be wearing anything shorter than 2-2.5" heels. The 1" are not THAT much more comfortable and they make anyone's legs look stumpy and unattractive. the end.


Color: Preference, preference, preference... but you SHOULD have a pair of both tan and black character shoes just in case. I have both, but my good ones are black, so I rehearse in those and switch if the costume designer wants tan for performance. Tan ones make your legs appear longer, but black is sexier, especially if you're wearing dark tights or fishnets.

Style: Generally, a T-strap or cross-strap down the foot looks a lot prettier than the traditional Mary Jane style, but once again, this has to do with preference. I've seen some really attractive Mary Jane characters (like the Capezio ones in the height collage above), with a high, elegant heel, but for myself, I prefer a strappier shoe.
       Now, the T-straps that still come up around the arch of your foot, like the Capezio T-strap (the pair that made my feet bleed countless times), I find a lot less attractive than the open ones:

The open-sides do a lot more for elongating and beautifying the feet/legs, and allow for a prettier, more defined pointe and arch when dancing. The shoes pictured here are the Capezio T-strap and the So Danca CH57. Now Bloch and Capezio have also kept up with the open T-strap trend and each created more affordable options, but I find the lesser-known So Danca shoes a lot more handsome and comfortable. I own these as my tan pair (just wore them in Bye Bye Birdie).

Brand: The BIG question. I'm personally really unimpressed with Capezio as characters go, and I, like many, wore them exclusively until college because they are the Microsoft of dancewear. I've discussed this a bit already as far as the affordable brands go, and So Danca CH57 is my current favorite. I've now been through 2 pairs of them in both black and tan, and I've loved them. They are very comfortable, durable, and the best pair I've found among the affordable characters.

However, there is the giant trump-card of character shoes, and that is those made by the one and only Phil LaDuca. He makes nearly every shoe you see on a dancer's feet on Broadway and in the big movie-musicals (Chicago, Nine, The Producers, etc...). If you're interested in his credits and celebrity LaDuca-lovers, check out the LaDuca Shoes website. You'll be amazed.


Here's the story with LaDuca's:
If you are in musical theatre and are a dancer in serious training, you need them. If you are serious about theatre, and dance is not your forte, you should still get them if you can, but you may be able to get away with a cheaper alternative. Really, if this is your profession, there is no excuse not to have them. I got mine as a Christmas/Birthday gift my senior year, after doing a lot of research, and GOING TO A RETAILER to get fitted and try the different heights/styles on my feet. These are handmade, Italian leather shoes, and each style, and even heel height, may put you in a different size, and feel different on your feet, so you'll want to try on and feel each style. The sizing is also not your traditional American sizing, so you should find a retailer to help you pick your first pair.

There is a reason that these shoes are so expensive and so famous. LaDuca makes shoes for the dancer. They are intended for long dance rehearsals, classes, and performances. These shoes are no joke... In my 3" pair, I've survived 12+ hour rehearsal days in dance-intensive shows, and the only pain is from the fact that I was on my feet that long. They simply feel like an extension of my legs/feet, and if they fit right, you do not feel the shoe when it's on. With these, I have been able to ignore what's going on down at my feet, and really focus on my work. This is so incredibly valuable. I own the Black 3" Alexis (right), and I absolutely love them. I've now rehearsed 3 dance shows in them, and they've remained solid throughout. Best purchase ever.

So this is my take on character shoes so far... like anything, this is a journey and it's always changing! If you have more questions about LaDuca's, affordable options, or which shoes have failed me, don't hesitate to email me at AshPieceBlog[at]gmail[dot]com ! I'm writing this post for YOU... I really hope it helps someone! Have a fabulous day!

♥AshPiece




Here are my shoes that I use most, pictured in the 3 big dance shows I performed in within the past year:
1. Chicago (Roxie Hart) - LaDuca 3" Alexis
2. Guys and Dolls (Adelaide) pictured with my friend, Nastasia (Sarah Brown), who introduced me to the So Danca's (and my boyfriend, but that's another story...) :) - LaDuca 3" Alexis and So Danca CH57
3. Guys and Dolls (Adelaide) - So Danca 2 1/2" CH57
4. Bye Bye Birdie (Margie/Gloria Rasputin) - So Danca 2 1/2" CH57 - I rehearsed in the LaDuca's, but the costume designer wanted tan, so I switched once we got into costumes!

1 comment:

  1. I have owned a pair of black character shoes and had them for almost 13 years. They have always hurt my feet and I think I need to invest in a good pair that doesn't hurt my feet. I want to take up your advice on the So danca character shoes. I need a black pair though, but the sizing fit says I need to order anywhere up from a 1/2-1 size up from my street shoe. How far should I size up? I wear a size 6 usually, but I also do have small feet.

    ReplyDelete